Up
Friday
August, 21

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said it is ready for new ideas on peace in Ukraine based on old ones — “taking into account the realities on the ground”

08/21/2026 05:37:09 pm
Total views 50. Views today — 50.

“Russia is open to hearing new proposals on how to resolve the conflict in Ukraine, a senior russian diplomat said, but any proposals must reflect the ‘realities on the ground’”, - Reuters writes on August 21.

The outlet notes that russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said in an interview with russian media published on Friday that the United States had demonstrated a willingness for “constructive dialogue” and “an understanding of Russia’s position”.

“At this stage, what matters more is how capable Washington is of influencing the decisions of the Kyiv regime and its European sponsors, who still dream of russia’s ‘strategic defeat’”, - he told the outlet.

Reuters also writes that “talks between russia and the United States on ending the conflict in Ukraine have largely stalled against the backdrop of the war in Iran”. The kremlin said on Thursday that it had no information so far about a possible next visit to moscow by U.S. presidential envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, who have previously held talks with russia.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last month that Washington was committed to helping end the war, following a meeting in Manila with russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. But Rubio cautioned that there was no quick deal ahead and that the United States was trying to “find a compromise”.

Ryabkov said that russia was ready to hear new ideas from Rubio and continue dialogue with Washington.

“The russian federation is ready to hear any reasonable proposals and ideas that correspond to the goals set by the russian president and are consistent with the ‘realities on the ground’”, - he said.

The outlet notes that “after nearly four and a half years of war, russia holds about one-fifth of Ukraine’s internationally recognized territory. Moscow has repeatedly said that it is open to negotiations, but they must recognize the ‘new realities on the ground’”.

As reported, russia is not ready to sign ceasefire agreements and a peace deal this year, as it plans to seize the Donetsk oblast.